cancer is the second leading cause of death globally, resulting in an estimated 9,6 million deaths per year. Although there are various risk factors, according to the World Cancer Research Fund, at least 18% of all cancers diagnosed are related to physical inactivity, alcohol consumption, and/or poor nutrition. At just 20 years old, Catherine Clark, Owner and Founder of The Harvest Table, was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. She embarked on a journey of healing her body by studying the importance of a good quality diet, and through her research, she discovered the benefits of bone broth.
“At the time of my diagnosis, there was limited research about the benefits of bone broth to help fight cancer, but what I found was enough to make me want to try it. My only problem was that it was not readily available,” she says. Catherine was on a pursuit of what she calls wholeness — a balance between what you eat, keeping your body fit, maintaining a sound mind and keeping your spirit on fire. She has been using high-quality ingredients to make bone broth and says the benefits are more than what she expected.
Catherine, who is now cancer free, offers these 5 benefits of bone broth and how it supports the fight against cancer:
1. Boost immune system: One of the most important factors for cancer patients to focus on is boosting the immune system. Our bodies have “good cells” that are designed to fight off diseases like cancer, but when the levels of these cells drop, we become more susceptible to illnesses. Cancer is a complicated disease that can trick your body into using healthy cells to attack the body. Bone broth can help improve overall health as it contains amino acid arginine and alkylglycerols, which boost the immune system, and have been proven to repair tissue and control tumour cell growth in the body.
2. Improve digestive health: Bone broth supports a well-functioning digestive system as it assists in sealing up any holes in your stomach, healing the lining, and nourishing the gut with important nutrients. Cancer patients often have a low appetite because of certain treatments, which can lead to a deficit in nutrients. Bone broth is not only high in nutrients, but it is easy to sip due to its liquid consistency and contains gelatine which is essential for restoring the gut.
3. Reduce inflammation: Research shows that cancer often develops at sites of chronic inflammation, which means that inflammation is a primary risk factor for cancer. Patients with high inflammation have a higher chance of disease, so decreasing inflammation in the body can help fight cancer. Bone broth naturally has anti-inflammatory properties and contains glucosamine and chondroitin, which can help support the body through cancer treatments.
5. Manage blood sugar levels: Sugar has been proven to feed cancer cells, so it’s important to supply the body only with what it needs. Maintaining optimal blood sugar levels is critical for cancer patients, and the properties found in bone broth can make a difference. Bone broth is nutrient-dense, contains low carbohydrates and calories, which makes it easy on the body. It is especially vital in supporting the liver through glucose production as it helps regulate blood sugar in the body.
6. Improving sleep quality: Good sleeping habits are crucial for cancer patients but can be hard to come by, especially for those going through treatments. Recent studies have shown that cancer survivors can experience sleep difficulties for up to 5 years after a diagnosis, which are mostly associated with the fear of cancer returning. Bone broth contains glycine, which has been proven to significantly improve your sleep quality.
Bone broth can replenish the body with much-needed nutrients and is beneficial for anyone looking to improve their health. “My diagnosis was an eye-opener. I can only hope to educate others on the importance of nourishing the body to help fight cancer and other diseases,” concludes Catherine.
ABOUT HARVEST TABLE
Since inception in 2018, The Harvest Table has been creating pure, wholesome products packaged earth consciously to change the lives of our customers positively by educating them and helping them to make better food choices daily.
For more information, please visit: www.theharvesttable.co.za