Dr. Melanie Oelofsen
Description of business:
Dr. Melanie Oelofsen is professionally trained and registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA), and the Psychological Society of South Africa (PSYSSA). Most of her time is dedicated to her clients in private practice, but she is also a lecturer at the University of Pretoria where she teaches and shares her passion with her students. She also completed a PhD in Psychology.
Dr. Melanie Oelofsen has developed different areas of interest at her practice. Some areas of activity for her practice include the following:
- Promoting psychological well-being.
- Treating psychopathology.
- Promoting learning and study skills.
- Play therapy (Utilising play as a mode of communication when working within a therapeutic context with a client. These techniques are not only designed to support children who are experiencing emotional difficulties, but can also be offered to enhance emotional intelligence).
- Parental guidance (Exploring alternatives or adjustments to the family’s current functioning).
- Psychometric assessments which include utilising instruments/tests that aim to provide a more objective means of evaluating individuals.
- School readiness assessments: Assists in determining a child’s cognitive and emotional readiness to start school. Growth areas are identified and recommendations to enhance further development suggested in a final written repo
- Career assessments: Assist in exploring and providing recommendations for subject and career options. Might also assist adults who would like to change their current careers.
Orthodidactic assessments: Specific challenges related to spelling, mathematics, reading, concentration and learning difficulties affecting academic performance may be identified. Recommendations for special concessions such as additional time, the use of a planning aid and oral examinations are suggested. Interventions to address areas of academic difficulties are also included in a final written report and communicated during a follow-up session.
Dr. Melanie Oelofsen is also trained to assess, diagnose and treat a wide variety of psychological challenges, such as:
- Alcohol and drug abuse
- Anxiety disorders
- Bereavement and loss
- Autistic spectrum disorders
- Dyslexia, dyscalculia, dyspraxia and dysgraphia
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder